[mythtv-users] globally starting recordings early/stopping late

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Sep 18 14:32:08 UTC 2007

On Sep 18, 2007, at 12:39 AM, norman wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 14:55 +1000, victor rajewski wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I couldn't find the answer to this anywhere in the manual or
>> settings;
>> I want mythtv to provide a 'buffer' for recording times, as they are
>> quite unreliable in Australia. I can easily do this on a per-
>> recording
>> basis, but I'd like to set it globally; e.g. all recording start 5
>> mins before the advertised time and end 5 minutes after. Is this
>> possible?

Utilities/Setup>Setup>TV Settings>General>4th Screen

Time to record before start of show (in seconds)
Time to record past end of show (in seconds)

For sporting events that typically run over the scheduled time, you
can use the next settings on the screen:

Category record over-time
	Category of shows to be extended: <category name>
	Record past end of show (in minutes):

> The only problem with this is if you want to record one programme
> after
> another. Think about it.

There are other settings to tell Myth to try to reschedule things if
they interfere with the above buffer settings. I think it's also
smart enough to ignore the buffer if two shows are recording
sequentially on the same channel.

You can search the lists for more information as there was a lot of
discussion about this in the past.

-brad