[mythtv-users] On the verge of giving up

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 10:02:40 UTC 2007

On 9/18/07, Damian <damian at gingermagic.co.uk> wrote:

> I was almost at the end of my MythTV project the other day. It's just
> too temperamental for me. ...

I simply don't have time to put such effort into a system. Something has
> got to change or I'll just buy a Freeview box or something.

I've got to say - I love my MythTV, which has morphed into a bit of a hobby
for me, teaching me about Linux, etc.  BUT - the occasional instability does
drive me a bit crazy.  I can typically get things going again in less than a
minute - but the problem comes for me when I'm travelling and my wife is at
home with Myth alone.  I occasionally get the 'help the TV isn't working
email/text".  She's learnt to restart the frontend, and can even go to the
server, and do a "service mythbackend restart" now.  That tends to fix 99%
of issues, and I can ssh in remotely for the remaining 1% - but she
occasionally grumbles about how Sky+ would be better!

For us the killer feature, relative to a standalone DVR, is the
client-server architecture.  We can start a show in the living room, mark
the position, stop it, and resume in exactly the same place upstairs.
Having a DVR matched to a single TV wouldn't work for us.

I'm not sure what specific problems you are having - but I've found a Fedora
backend running fairly standard (except for the 4x750GB drives in RAID 5)
hardware to be fairly stable.  Some of my issues there are my CAM not
resetting which requires a backend restart every few days.  And my frontends
- which are a mottley crew including 2 old laptops and a Mac Mini - all
running Fedora (except the Mini which dual boots Fedora and OSX) -are pretty
stable except for the occasional hang - in which case a quick reset of the
frontend does the trick. I'm not at 'appliance' reliability - but I'm at
'good enough'