[mythtv-users] my experience "upgrading" from KnoppMyth to mythDora

Ryan Allen ryan at the-summit.net
Mon Sep 17 21:48:07 UTC 2007

* CHRIS KOTTING <ckotting at wideopenwest.com> wrote on [09-17-07y 11:00]:
> Sam nailed it.  The "open" nvidia drivers are problematic.  I'd wager that
> Ryan's problems could be solved by using the Fedora drivers available from
> nvidia.
>
> Chris K.

Yeah, I was so disappointed with the video performance, and I didn't
want to take any more time researching the issue.  I installed knoppMyth
(my old trusted standby) and it addressed everything:

MythDora (open source nVidia drivers -- learned the hard way):
    choppy video playback.  CPU at 70%-80%

KnoppMyth (nVidia's closed source drivers):
    smooth and impressive video playback.  CPU at 20%-30%

I'm surprised googling "mythDora nVidia choppy playback" didn't turn up
anything useful.

-- Ryan

P.S.  I just re-googled it, and this thread comes up!!