[mythtv-users] Advice on debugging crashing system needed

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 17 21:25:01 UTC 2007

Craig Huff wrote:
> I have a problem with my frontend system.  It has recently started
> scrambling the display and locking up, sort of.
>
> If I have an ssh session open from the backend, it may or may not be
> responsive, but opening a new window and pinging or attempting to
> start a new ssh connection times out.
>
> The onset of symptoms is delayed if I leave the cover off or crank up
> the cooling fans, so I suspect a thermal related problem.  Once the
> symptoms appear, it won't respond to the attached PS/2 keyboard or
> mouse and hitting the reset button will make it start rebooting, but
> it will lock up before I get to the grub kernel selection dialog.
> Typically, the hard drive activity light won't indicate any activity,
> although I can hear the DVD drive checking for media.  Powering down
> doesn't help unless the system is left off for more than a few
> seconds, again suggesting a thermal problem.
>
> I plan on reviewing the logs in /var/logs tonight when I get home (it
> was too late to start that kind of activity when the system did this
> again last night).
>
> If I can monitor the output of lm_sensors (which I had already
> configured some time ago) tonight, I may do that, too.
>
> If I don't find any smoking guns through these approaches, what else
> do you suggest I check/test/enable/disable?
>
> FWIW, I'm running FC6 upgraded completely around the first week of
> September, along with Myth 0.20.2 on an Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard.
>
> All advice welcome.
>
> Craig.

Your problem does sound thermal so stop on the way home and pick up a
can of compressed air or use a compressor if you have one. Take off the
cover(s) and blow out the inside of the computer and power supply. Be
sure to clean out the fins on the various heatsinks on the board. Blow
air into every fan opening on the power supply. Everything should be
back to normal after that. Because we have pet birds here our computers
need cleaning every 6 months or things start to plug up.

PS - You are going to want to do this outdoors unless you really enjoy
dust clouds inside your home.