[mythtv-users] Great job MythArchive team

Jon Boehm boehm100 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 17 20:22:30 UTC 2007

aaron wrote:
> On 9/17/07, Jon Boehm <boehm100 at comcast.net> wrote:
>> recording to dvd.  Well Friday I recorded Doctor Who "Blink."  WOW that
>> was a keeper.  So after installing some dependencies out of the Ubuntu
>
> Hehehe, I've been trying to archive the same episode :D
> ...unsuccessfully for a couple of weeks now :(
>
>> Great job guys it was much easier than I thought it would.  Keep up the
>> great work.  I can't wait to see how you make it even better.
>
> It works *perfectly* for me if I use the SP profile, but when I try to
> use the HQ profile it sits there processing for ages (re-encoding the
> video, according to the logs) and then fails, complaining about no
> input video to work on, or something like that... I still need to get
> around to pulling out the messages and trying to report it here. This
> is the first time I've tried using the HQ profile.
>
> Usually I use SP or EP, trying to cram as much on the disk as
> possible, rather than trying to retain high quality. This is the first
> time I've ever had any problems with it.

For what its worth, I record all of my SD material at 720x480 so that
they are "DVD ready."  And I transcoded Blink only to remove the
commercials.  I changed the HQ profile to be MPEG2 pass thru, or
something like that.  This involved setting a check box in profile
settings.  Transcoding went very fast.  So MythArchive didn't have to
decode and recompress the video.

The most trouble I had was knowing if it was working.  Turns out I put
in some OLD 1x dvd-r disk.  Took for EVER.

I did notice when I tested the disk that the menu highlight didn't line
up with the item to be selected.  Since there is only one thing on the
disk, I figured it out.

Also, I ~think~ I noticed some minor studder in the video when played
back on the dvd player.  But over all I am VERY IMPRESSED.

Hope that helps,
Jon