[mythtv-users] Advice Requested re LCD TV's

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Sep 17 18:29:18 UTC 2007

I bought a Sharp 32" LCD HighDef TV 3 weeks ago. It's going back to Best
Buy. My wife does not like the way it displays certain pictures. It has
a halo or bloomimg effect with lot of images, which are not seen on a
monitor. She also dislikes the distortions is introduces when zoom or
stretch are in use.
I do not like it because it has an extremely complicated mechanism to
get from cable channels to OTA channels in the tuner. You have to go
into setup and select, and select and select and select and then just
for fun, you get to choose.....

I have both cable and antenna. I want to switch between them without
difficult contortions.

Can anyone suggest a 32 to 37 inch high definition (1920 x 1200) LCD TV,
  (brand plus model) available in North America which can, in effect,
deal with 2 different coax inputs easily. That is, go seamlessly from
cable to OTA tuning. If that means selecting a different Input Source,
that is alright, so long as it is not a 4 to 6 step procedure.

For bonus points, can anyone suggest a TV that *also* has ethernet or
serial control capabilities? The LG 37LB5D has a serial input which
meets this test, but I do not know if it can handle the inputs as required.

(Interestly, the wiki only seems to deal with 'one-input' situations.
No-one seems to have addressed this situation and it did not ocurr to me
at all until I got the thing home and set up.)

              R. Geoffrey Newbury