[mythtv-users] Multiple commercial flagging tasks causing Mythbackend to die

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 15:52:55 UTC 2007

On 9/17/07, Doug Young <goofdad at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/17/07, A JM <vbtalent at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Since I'm not checking for the mythbackend PID ( BackendRunStatus=`ps -A |
> grep -c "mythbackend"`) is there a way to use the same KILL command with a
> generic "mythbackend" in it? In other words if you find "mythbackend", KILL
> it?
> >

> killall -9 mythbackend
>
> or
>
> ps -A | grep -c "mythbackend" | awk '{print $1}' | xargs kill -9
>
> the quoting on the last is very important, the first is much easier.
>
> --
> Doug

Incidentally,  I modified my init.d/mythbackend script as follows:

stop() {
        echo -n "Stopping ${MBE_PROG}: "
        killproc ${MBE_LOCATION}${MBE_PROG}
        RETVAL=$?
        echo
        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && rm -f /var/lock/subsys/${MBE_PROG}
        echo -n "Stopping Mythtranscode"
        killproc ${MBE_DIR}mythtranscode
        RETVAL=$?
        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ]
        echo
        echo -n "Stopping Mythcommflag"
        killproc ${MBE_DIR}mythcommflag
        RETVAL=$?
        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ]
        echo

        return $RETVAL
}

restart() {
        stop
        [ -e /var/lock/subsys/${MBE_PROG} ] && rm -f
/var/lock/subsys/${MBE_PROG}
        start
}

To handle the issue of restarting kicking off too many mythtranscode
and mythcommflag jobs, as well as the stale lock files not being
cleaned up.