[mythtv-users] XvMC HD Playback w/ OSD slows playback

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Mon Sep 17 03:58:48 UTC 2007

I'm hip deep in to my experiments with my HDHomeRun, OTA antenna, and
playback configurations, and, happily, I am making progress.

It finally hit me that, although I thought I had XvMC enabled, I really
didn't (thank goodness for the wiki!!
(http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XvMC#Tips_and_Tricks)).  Anyhow,
with XvMC enabled, my frontend systems play back the HD video smoothly.
Of course, the OSD comes up in black-n-white, but I can live with that
(still need to do the XvMC only for HD video adjustment).

However, when the OSD is up (let's say, it skips commercials and it is
informing you of the skip), the whole playback comes to a crawl.  It is
as if someone put the speed at 0.1x until the OSD goes away and then it
immediately starts playing at the normal rate.  Is this normal (doesn't
seem like it would be)?  Or is there another step I am missing here..?

Thanks!
-Rich