[mythtv-users] Is HD worth it?

Shawn Flynn sflynn1 at rogers.com
Sun Sep 16 18:42:39 UTC 2007

On 9/16/07, Mitch Gore wrote:
> On 9/16/07, David Fishburn <dfishburn.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So at my home right now I have:
>>
>> 1.  Rogers (cable) and might possibly get a set top box for the HD
channels
>> - This will require QAM
>
> To get QAM channel you dont use a STB.  You connect you QAM tuner to the
cable and scan to see what you can pick up.  > usually just the locals. you
only use the STB to caputer off the Firewire ports (not sure about this in
Canada.

A QAM capture card will do you no good with Rogers Cable in Ontario. As of a
few months ago, they are encrypting _all_ QAM channels. I've not tried
firewire from a settop box personally yet, but I've not been able to find
any recent success stories when googling for Rogers/firewire so I wouldn't
hold much hope for that either. OTA is about the only option if you are
looking to record HD in Canada. (God bless the CRTC <sigh>).

Shawn Flynn