[mythtv-users] Need advice for preserving LVM partitions during FC7 installation

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Sat Sep 15 04:38:54 UTC 2007

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 10:14:20PM -0400, Larry K alleged:
> I have an FC3 box that I am about to reinstall with FC7 so that I can
> upgrade myth and get past this zap2it problem.  Anyway,  I've backed up all
> my configuration files, but I have too many recordings on an LVM setup to
> make this kind of backup feasible with existing hardware.  I am running a
> two drive LVM with about 400GB of recording space.
>
> Is it possible to only destroy the root, boot, and swap partitions when I
> run the FC7 install and therefore preserve the partitions (/dev/hda4 and
> /dev/hdb1) that are participating in the LVM volume?  My thought was that
> post-install, I could restore the LVM config file from backup to bring the
> LVM configuration back to status quo.
>
> Here is my fdisk output:
>
> Disk /dev/hda: 163.9 GB, 163928604672 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19929 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hda1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
> (boot)
> /dev/hda2              14        1288    10241437+  83  Linux
> (root)
> /dev/hda3            1289        1353      522112+  82  Linux swap
> /dev/hda4            1354       19929   149211720   8e  Linux LVM
>
> Disk /dev/hdb: 300.0 GB, 300069052416 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 36481 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hdb1               1       36481   293033601   8e  Linux LVM
>
> I am not sure if what I am thinking about doing is possible, and if so, what
> partitioning strategy to choose during installation to preserve my LVM
> partitions.  I would think I need to select manual partitioning, but after
> that I am not sure what choices to make.   If automatic partitioning is an
> option, I am not sure what defines a Linux partition, since I can choose to
> only destroy those partitions during installation.  Are my LVM partitions
> considered to be "Linux" partitions?
>
> Thanks for any guidance from myth-land...

I just did this same FC3-F7 upgrade 2 weeks ago with a very similar layout to
yours.  All I did was backup mysql, mythuser's homedir, the lirc configs,
network configs, and 'rpm -qa' to the big LVM filesystem.  You might as well
copy over all of /etc too.

In the installer, choose custom partitioning and set the hda1, hda2, and hda3
as you normally would.  They will already be listed in the partition editor.
Feel free to reformat those if you want.

The 2 PVs also show up in the partition editor, but reassigning them to a VG/LV
implied "formatting the PV".  I'm not entirely show what that means so I just
choose to leave them assigned.  There is probably a "correct" way to do this,
but I didn't feel like playing with it.

The custom partition editor will ignore the PVs if you don't assign them and
they will be waiting for you after the install.  Don't worry about LVM config
files or anything like that.  All of the necessary LVM metadata is already in
the PVs.  After the install, just add the LV to /etc/fstab, mkdir the mount
point, and reboot again.