[mythtv-users] Problems with MCE and Streamzap remotes

Brett Granger bdgranger at alum.mit.edu
Fri Sep 14 22:08:58 UTC 2007

Hi All,

I have a problem somewhat similar to that described by Don Doumakes in
posting http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2007-September/193623.html

I have a new Ubuntu Feisty system, kernel 2.6.20-16 that I'm trying to
bring up.  Everything has been going great until trying to get lirc to work.

I have a Microsoft MCE remote that I got as part of the Hauppauge
WinTV-PVR-USB2 MCE kit.  I've followed the instructions for downloading,
compiling and installing the lirc_mceusb2 driver, using the 0.8.2 lirc
tarball.  Everything appears to compile fine, and I'm able to modprobe
the drivers.

However, when I actually attach the ir receiver and launch irw, it exits
immediately and takes lircd down with it.  In syslog, I see "could not
open /dev/lirc; default_init(): No such device".  It appears that when I
connect the ir receiver, the mceusb2 driver does not detect it and so
does not actually create a device to go along with /dev/lirc?  The
device file is created as part of the "make install" step...  When I
connect the receiver, I do get messages from the kernel acknowledging
that a "new full speed USB device" is connected and that "configuration
#1 chosen from 1 choice", so I think the USB part is fine.

Any clues?

Additionally, I have a Streamzap remote on a different system (FC 6).
When I compile the streamzap driver on the Ubuntu system, I at least see
in syslog that the streamzap driver recognizes when the streamzap
receiver is attached and creates a corresponding /dev/lirc0 entry.  irw
doesn't exit immediately, but it does not report any keypresses (yes, I
made sure to have the right lircd.conf file for the streamzap remote).
"mode2" does seem to detect pulses, so I think things are close there.

I'd rather use the MCE remote on this system and keep the streamzap on
the other system, but will go with whatever works.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated,
--Brett Granger