[mythtv-users] Your thoughts on Cases .. The hardest part of the whole HTPC Process

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 19:36:43 UTC 2007

On 9/14/07, Ben Kevan <ben.kevan at gmail.com> wrote:

> So,
>
> Let me first add.. I am on a budget.. Now on to the rest
>
> <snip>
>
> ASUS M2NPV-VM
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131014

I have this as do many on this list.  Been  generally satisfied with  it.
I'm just pushing
the envelope compared to what others are doing with MythTV, I think.

Now comes the hardest part of the WHOLE HTPC Process IMO, the damned CASE.

> They current case I am looking at is the following:
>
> nMEIDAPC HTPC 200BA Black Aluminum / Plastic / Steel Micro ATX Media
> Center
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811204004
>
> First things I notice are:
>
> No front IR
> What the hell good do the front AV Capture ports do?
>
> Under "Features" it lists S/PDIF Output Jack, but I didn't see it
> anywhere..
> Must be on the back somewhere
>
> Also under "Features" it lists Universal Internal IR Rack.. What the heck
> does
> that mean? Would I just have to run the IR and lay it on the top of the
> unit?
> Strange..
>
> Thanks for all the help guys.. This has been one of the most active
> Mailing
> lists i've ever been on..
>
> Ben

Can't comment on this case, but I can tell you about what I got and what I
considered.
I got the Antec NSK2400 after reading the review over at silentpcreview.
There is an
"upgrade" model, Fusion, which has an IR module, IIRC, and now there is a
Fusion II.

Some discussion about the features/capabilities of the IR functionality in
the Fusion
and the extra cost led me to choose the NSK2400 and took care of the IR with
the
USB-Based Microsoft Media Center Edition IR transceiver.  Like I said, I'm
pushing
the envelope, so this turned out not to be the best choice since I want my
frontend
to work like a VCR/DVR and turn on and off without having to walk over to
it.  I will
need to get a different IR receiver that can trigger a wakeup since this
mobo (second
sample, too) won't wake from S4 (hibernate) by USB.  Only by PS/2
keyboard/mouse,
or external modem (positive voltage on pin 9 of an enabled 9-pin serial port
relative to
ground, which is pin 5 on the same port).

But, I digress.  HTH

Craig.