[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun and jumpy video

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Sep 14 14:18:20 UTC 2007

Rich West wrote:
> Dan Ritter wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 10:48:18PM -0400, Rich West wrote:
>>
>>> I've got a new HDHomeRun and a mediocre antenna set up which is showing
>>> excellent signal quality on the major stations in the area.  However,
>>> when those stations are viewed via mythtv, the video looks great except
>>> for the fact that it seems to stutter about once a second.  One station
>>> has the audio delayed by about a second, as well...
>>>
>>> Viewing through VLC is a little better, but not a whole lot....
>>>
>>> Before I go digging further, and possibly buying a better antenna, would
>>> an antenna cause the stutter, or is this possibly a limitation of the
>>> backend and/or frontend? (viewing via VLC is, obviously, direct to the
>>> HDHR, whereas via mythtv it's going through the backend).
>>>
>> What's your hardware on the frontend? Have you had perfect HD
>> playback before?
>

> This is my first foray in to HD on this box other than playing DVD's or
> DivX/MPEG-4 HD video.
>
> The FE's have AMD64 3000+'s, 512MB RAM, local IDE drive, nVidia GeForce
> 6200.  The machines have always been rather bored.  Even when I was
> pushing HD during my tests last night, the machines were still bored...

Are you using nVidia's drivers? HD with the generic nv driver is
problematical.

> I guess I'll hit up RadioShack or something for a decent powered antenna
> vs the tiny thing I picked up at HomeDepot and give it another shot this
> evening.

Funny thing about digital TV: You either have it or you don't (sometimes
known as the "cliff" threshold).

If you have sufficient signal to watch it's unlikely a powered antenna
will help. Also remember than amplifiers amplify the noise as well as
the signal :-)

beww