[mythtv-users] mplayer -dumpstream better than myth record

Doug Larrick doug at parkercat.org
Fri Sep 14 12:07:07 UTC 2007

Ben wrote:
> Interesting idea about the IO. I doubt it though. Here's why: I am not
> doing commflag on my records (or any other processing). NBC is fine at
> broadcasts in 1920x1080i and ~100Mb/min. FOX, which gives me mild
> problems, broadcasts 1280x720p and 110MB/min. The station that gives me
> the most problems, is MNT, which broadcasts at 1920x1080i and ~95Mb/min.
> So I'm not seeing a correlation with rmy ecording problems and how much
> it saves to the disk. I temporarily moved the recordings directory to a
> different hard drive from the database, but it made no difference. Any
> more ideas?

MythTV does a lot more processing on the MPEG-TS stream than mplayer
does.  It's removing unused subchannels, searching for keyframes, and
generally regularizing the stream as it is written to disk.

There used to be a way to point the ATSC recorder to an existing MPEG-TS
file rather than the live tuner card, but I can't find it in the source.
 If this still exists and someone can remember how to use it, you could
run one of your successful mplayer captures through it and see if MythTV
is somehow stripping needed packets out of the stream.

-Doug