[mythtv-users] Laptop - front end question...

Richard Woelk richardwoelk at yahoo.ca
Fri Sep 14 04:35:04 UTC 2007

A JM wrote:
> I've got a laptop I was considering on using as a front end, it has,
> S-Vid, infrared, WOL, etc.I realize it's limited to SD so I'm not
> concerned about HD.
>
> Is it possible to turn it on from a remote without opening the top and
> manually powering it on? Is there a particular remote that will work
> with a laptops infrared receiver?
>
> Has anyone that has done this have a few hints and tips I could use?
>
> Thanks.
>
> AJM,

A JM,
    Most laptops have an IRDA ports, but there are two kinds. The older,
slower version called Serial IR, and the newer Fast IR
Some laptops can switch between versions. Check the bios setup for an
option to change serial port to IR, then linux should detect it as COM2,
and it will work with LIRC using the lirc_sir module.

A quick search came up with this site, I hope it points you in the right
direction

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_make_use_of_IrDA#LIRC_and_IrDA

As for power on/off, I don't know of any easy way to do that.
If you have computer on 24-7, then you could set a cron schedule to send
wake-on-lan packets at the right time.

HTH
- Richard