[mythtv-users] HDMI or DVI

Andrew Burgess aab at cichlid.com
Thu Sep 13 20:38:45 UTC 2007

>> digital transmission is lossless
>Wow.  When did they implement error correction with retransmission in
>HDMI?

You probably know what I ment but I'll try again anyway.
Analog degrades with any length cable. Softly and gradually.
Digital is all or nothing. So when the digital signal gets through its
lossless. Analog never is. As the cable lengthens, analog gets fuzzy,
digital goes away abruptly.

This can work to your advantage if you need a really long out of spec
cable. VGA at 100 feet is fuzzy but usable. Most HDMI/DVI is blank.