[mythtv-users] My proposed MythTV Configuration

Ben Kevan ben.kevan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 16:52:45 UTC 2007

On Thursday 13 September 2007 09:46:04 am Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 09:35:27AM -0700, Ben Kevan wrote:
> > AMD AM2 Socket 3800+
> > $75
>
> Note that if that's the processor I think it is, it's a dual-1900, not
> a 3800; this won't be an issue for SDTV, but maybe for HDTV.

Hummm.. Yes it is a Dual 1900.. Should I possibly look at the 4200+ minimum
for future growth into HDTV? (Which I don't have now.. Hell.. I have a huge
ugly Bubble Tubed TV

> > Hauppauge PVR 150
> > $75
> > This may be a tight fit in the case I am looking at, but read some
> > reviews they said it gets in there, just takes some creativity .. May
> > have to change case later if I decide to go with 2 150's if I want to
> > watch and record..
>
> Or a remote backend, once everything's well liked.  Move both tuners
> and the storage into a honker-in-the-closet; make that box into a front
> end.

Space is a huge issue for me.. California housing costs.. YAY!.. Like in a
800Sq Foot Apartment.. 2 Adults and an 8 month old.. Just about EVERYTHING is
taken.. I may look into Back / Front end.. .. With that said, what type of
resources will the front end need compared to the backend?

> > OS openSUSE 10.3 (yeah.. I know not released yet, but it's release date
> > is 10-4-07 and should have everything about then and finally get time..
> >
> > If not openSUSE then most likely Mythbuntu (stupid name)
>
> We're running on 10.2; I just yummed everything in from the appropriate
> repo and it ran like a top.  It's *much* easier to install than 0.18
> was.

I am real comfortable with openSUSE and Ubuntu (Prefer openSUSE) since i've
been using since the 8.x days of SuSE before Novell's purchase. (Now I just
wish stock would go up.. picked up at high 5's.. now still just tinkering in
the 7 range)

> Cheers,
> -- jra

Thank you

--
How much can you know about yourself, you've never been in a fight? I don't
wanna die without any scars. So come on; hit me