[mythtv-users] [OT?] Ratpoison on Fedora 7 - b0rked?

Ben Lancaster lists at benlancaster.co.uk
Thu Sep 13 11:22:13 UTC 2007

Hi all,

Has anyone had any success getting Ratpoison (from RPMs) to work on
Fedora 7? I had it running fine on FC6, but now it's not working since
the upgrade.

On the GDM login screen, I've changed the session to use Ratpoison,
logged in, and after a few seconds, Gnome launches instead. When I login
without a WM (just an xterm), and attempt to start ratpoison from the
terminal, I get "ratpoison: there can be only ONE". Weird error huh?

I've noticed that F7 handles sessions differently (new Xorg perhaps?) as
they now rely on the ~/.dmrc file. Mine appears to be correct as it
contains:

SESSION_MANAGER=ratpoison

On FC6, I used ~/.Xclients* scripts or xinitrc. Neither of these seem to
work on F7.

Oh, and my ~/.xsession-errors file doesn't contain anything useful:

localuser: mythtv being added to access control list
SESSION_MANAGER=local/{hostname}:/tmp/.ICE-unix/2979

Odd that the SESSION_MANAGER variable is different to the .dmrc. My
guess is that ratpoison failed (perhaps it got the highlander quote) and
reverted to the default?

Thanks in advance.