[mythtv-users] Early exit

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Sep 12 22:28:33 UTC 2007

Damian wrote:
> R. G. Newbury wrote:
>> Damian wrote:
>>> I have a new problem on my mythbox where viewing any program simply
>>> stops about a minute before the end. If watching live tv, The display
>>> just stops and the front end says there was an error. I can then click
>>> ok and quickly try to get back to the channel before the credits roll.
>>> If watching a recording, the saved file is simply too short. I assume it
>>> stopped recording at the same point that the live tv would have crashed
>>> out. Any idea what this is?
>>>
>>> Maybe it only happens on BBC? I've not tested that actually, but we do
>>> seem to watch more BBC than anything else. I struggle with stuttery
>>> playback on BBC when most other channels seem fine so maybe there's
>>> something weird going on there?
>>>
>>> I rarely get time to tweak my myth setup, but I do have a couple of
>>> hours on Thursday evening so I'm hoping to iron out a few wrinkles then.
>>>
>>> Looking forward to hearing any thoughts.
>> Is the time set correctly on the computer? If it is 1 minute fast you
>> will get what you see.
>>
>> Have you inadvertently set a default recording rule which finishes
>> early? The settings in Setup-> General will not let you do that, only
>> finish late, but without looking ISTR that you can set individual time
>> frames in the Record Options..
>>
>> Geoff
>>

> That was my first thought for the recordings, but it wouldn't explain
> why watching live TV crashes out just before the end of a program would it?
>
> I'll try and get some frontend and backend output the next time it
> happens? What's the best way of doing that by the way? Running the
> frontend from the command line and putting the backend log into gedit as
> soon as there's a problem?

run mythbackend -v channel,record,database -l /var/log/backend.log from
one console and the same sort of command for mythfrontend from another.

It is especially useful under this circumstance to set myth to run in a
window (Setup->General or Appearance IIRC)..then you can move the window
over and watch the log.

Geoff