[mythtv-users] SD privacy policy concerns

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Wed Sep 12 16:21:52 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 17:35 -0400, Peter Watkins wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 09:07:03PM -0700, Chris Petersen wrote:
> > Ben Giddings wrote:
> > > I agree with all of these, in addition, I'd like the "opt-out" bit to
> > > be "opt-in":
> >
> > http://forums.schedulesdirect.org/viewtopic.php?p=1542#p1542
> >
> > From a mailing list standpoint (completely separate from anything
> > relating to the SD Privacy Policy, which I'm not allowed to comment on,
>               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> You're not? The policy suggests contacting admin at schedulesdirect.org
> with any questions. I bcc'ed that address on my first post; if you, as one
> of only five board members, cannot comment on the privacy policy, who can?
> Should we expect a response from SD?

Only in the form of a revised Privacy Policy.

>  If so, any idea how soon?

The lawyers took almost a month for the first Privacy Policy.

I can tell you that marketing for me means telling our opted in
members that they are eligible to participate in free betas of
new extended services, if the first check box is selected. We also
have a separate check box for receiving a quarterly newsletter
so after betas are complete we will tell the members who have
are that check box checked about any new services that resulted
from the beta testing. Both are marketing under a Privacy Policy,
but we give you two opt-outs so you can customize what level of
information you want from us. For the IRS, the member newsletter
is actually a member benefit, just like the listings service.
For the FTC, which polices Privacy Policies, the member newsletter
is marketing, as are beta test announcements.

-- Daniel