[mythtv-users] Intermittent MythTV failure

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 10:57:02 UTC 2007

On 12/09/2007, Damian <damian at gingermagic.co.uk> wrote:
> David Watkins wrote:
> >> Excuse my ignorance, but I don't know what I'm looking at with logs at
> >> the moment. Which bits in particular make you question the dvb card? If
> >> I get a feel for what to look for, then I can try the cards one at a
> >> time and see if the problems persist.
> >
> > It was all this sort of stuff.  I've no idea what it means, but it
> > doesn't look healthy and I don't get it in my backend log.
> >
> > <snip>
> > [dvbsub @ 0xb71ea2e8]Junk in packet
> > [dvbsub @ 0xb71ea2e8]Invalid clut depth 0x13!
> > [dvbsub @ 0xb71ea2e8]Junk in packet
> > [dvbsub @ 0xb71ea2e8]Invalid y position!
> > [dvbsub @ 0xb71ea2e8]Invalid object location!
> > 2007-08-20 10:58:30.284 AFD Error: Unknown decoding error
> > [dvbsub @ 0xb71ea2e8]Junk in packet
> > [dvbsub @ 0xb71ea2e8]Invalid y position!
> > DVBSub error: line overflow
> > DVBSub error: line overflow
> > 2007-08-20 10:58:31.713 AFD Error: Unknown decoding error
> > [dvbsub @ 0xb71ea2e8]Junk in packet
> > [dvbsub @ 0xb71ea2e8]Invalid y position!
> > [dvbsub @ 0xb71ea2e8]Invalid object location!
> > [dvbsub @ 0xb71ea2e8]Junk in packet
> > DVBSub error: line overflow
> > [dvbsub @ 0xb71ea2e8]Invalid object location!
> > 2007-08-20 10:58:37.190 AFD Error: Unknown decoding error
> > 2007-08-20 10:58:40.765 AFD Error: Unknown decoding error
> > </snip>
>

> Ok, I rarely get time to tweak my myth setup, but I have a couple of
> hours on Thursday evening. What should my plan of attack be to try and
> either fix or at least find the cause of the problem in the shortest
> amount of time.
>
> My current plan is to take out the TV cards one at a time, try to start
> Myth and see if those errors show up in the backend log again.
>
> Do I need to reconfigure myth setup each time I change a card to tell it
> what to expect, or just run myth?

My guess is that you probably don't need to reconfigure to temporarily
remove one of your cards.  However the missing card would generate
errors so, to clear the decks, I would reconfigure once, to tell it
you've got a single card.  Then, once you've done that you shouldn't
need to do it again while swapping cards over, assuming:

- Your two cards are identical
- You don't have any clever udev rules that try to install a
particular card address onto a particular device.

So what I'd do is:

1)  Backup your database
2)  Remove one of your capture cards.
3)  Run mythtv-setup and "delete all capture cards"
4)  Add one capture card
5)  Associate the card you just added with your existing source.

Then you should be good to go.

Good Luck