[mythtv-users] video curiosity, point me to the right mailing list

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Sep 12 01:36:50 UTC 2007

On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 09:24:25PM -0400, Chris Ribe wrote:
>    Unless there is a way to compensate for the image distortion before
>    it gets to the monitor, that is. The problem with the monitor is
>    that the red gun traces a line that is something like 7*sin(x/1920)
>    lines above/below where it should be where x is the number of
>    pixels from the left edge of the screen.

>    In theory, if could just apply a filter to the red channel in X
>    or the video driver, I could coax a reasonable picture out of my
>    set without needing to fix the convergence. I'm intrigued by this
>    possibility mostly because it is a much cooler solution than buying
>    a remote. (If i just wanted an easy solution, I wouldn't be using
>    mythtv).

>    So, where should I start looking for ideas on how to accomplish
>    this? I have one frontend with an nvidia 5200 graphics card, a
>    macbook, and a frontend that needs a new video card (I had been
>    hoping to use the integrated 945G video, but it is VGA out and my
>    monitor only has a DVI input), so I am pretty flexible when it
>    comes to video drivers.

Your math says it's a one-channel vertical linearity problem.

But, as great a guy as I think you are, Chris: you're nuts.  :-)

Buy the remote.

If for no other reason: you're going to lose vertical resolution -- in
one color channel.  That can't end well.

This is kind of like my instinct to make aliases for all the ways I
mistype unix commands...

Cheers,
-- jra