[mythtv-users] Advice - Upgrade Backend/Frontend combo or new

Kisner, Thomas tkisner at necunified.com
Tue Sep 11 20:03:52 UTC 2007

>> You *might* be able to play back hd with you 3000+ (which is not the
>> same as a p4 running at 3GHz btw) if you split your systems.

Careful, your going to start an AMD/Intel flame war :)  I know it's not
the same, but he said it was at worst 55% on his 3GHz P4.  An Athlon 64
3000+ is close enough for a simple comparison.

> Depending on the processes you have running, a 3000+ most certainly is
> capable of serving as a HD frontend/backend.  I'm currently running
> mine in that fashion, and I also have an XP2500+ serving as a frontend
> (although the HD is scaled down to 800x600, TV-out).  All this without
> XVMC.

Ahh true, I have no trouble displaying it at 800x600 without XvMC on a
PC monitor.  It's displaying it at 1920x1080 that's a problem.

In any case I'm not going to chance it.  If I slit the backend and
frontend the 3000+ will be the backend, and the new frontend will be at
least an X2 3800+.  The wireless looks to be the problem with that...