[mythtv-users] Is mythtv threaded

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 16:10:21 UTC 2007

On 9/11/07, King, Josh M <kingjos at uwstout.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to mythtv and I was just wondering if mythtv was threaded so that I
> could take advantage of the dual core processor in my backend machine?
>

> Thanks in advance.

It seems to me that it would have to be threaded.  There's simply no
way that one thread could, for example, handle feeding video to a
frontend, and do anything else at the same time.  The frontend
obviously is.  The documentation for enabling real time priority
actually says it's for the "video output thread".

Just to what extent dual-core helps that on the backend I'm not sure.
But I can tell you that on my stand alone frontend, which is a P4 with
hyper-threading, I get noticably better performance with
hyper-threading enabled, even though the bulk of the work must surely
be done by the video thread.

Tom