[mythtv-users] Can an old school installation be salvaged?

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Tue Sep 11 15:04:45 UTC 2007

On 9/11/07, Dan Berger <danberger at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hey all, I've been a MythTV user for three years. My system has worked
> flawlessly to my configuration (thanks in part to all of the experts who I'm
> sure are still on this ml) but obviously now I have to upgrade because of
> the Schedules Direct issue.
>

> The problem, however, is that I'm still running FC3 (2.6.11-1.35) and
> MythTV 0.19. I haven't upgraded the box since around June of 2006, an
> installation that still use apt-get. Needless to say, when I try to upgrade
> or dist-upgrade, dead/neglected repositories and cannot proceed.
>

> Has anyone been able to make this comeback? Is the only way of moving
> forward starting from scratch? Should I try switching to yum? Any advice
> would be greatly appreciated.

I recently lost my RH9 system to a crash.  Honestly, it is very easy.  Back
up your database and any associated scripts you use to maintain your
system.  Note the drives and devices used by your recording storage (I'm
going to assume you have these separate from your OS drive/partition).  It
is quite a simple process to wipe the OS, install FC6 or a later OS (I used
FC6) using Jarod's guide or MythDora, etc. Get MythTV running from yum
packages and then drop your database over the top of it.  Myth will
recognize the older format and upgrade it accordingly.  Then it is just a
matter of tweaking new settings, checking capture cards (I'd just dump those
in mythtv-setup and add them again), and confirming your lineup with SD.

Kevin