[mythtv-users] Free US/Canada Listings

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 13:44:20 UTC 2007

On 9/11/07, Richard Freeman <r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net> wrote:

> Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > We've all been *exceptionally* clear in explaining precisely why it is
> > that we would -- as the community of this list -- generally prefer to
> > see discussion of scraping-which-violates-expressed-terms-of-service of
> > listings providers --
> >

> Might I just comment as a member of the community of this list that I'd
> be happy to see discussion on any fair-use technology that allows US
> users to obtain listings?  I won't claim to be speaking as "the

Then go read the XMLTV mailing list.  XMLTV is the mechanism and the
interchange format.  And since there's plenty of material discussing how to
integrate XMLTV with MythTV, I'm really not sure what else there is to say.

As for the mechanics of running XMLTV, how specific scrapers operate, how to
develop new scrapers, and so forth, that discussion belongs on the XMLTV
lists/forums.  And as a happy side effect, you will be benefiting any other
users who make use of XMLTV and may be reading those lists/forums, which
includes a variety of other PVR products, among other things.

Brett.