[mythtv-users] Nvidia 6200 S-Video gives a Black and White picture.

Dan Littlejohn dan.littlejohn at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 00:41:44 UTC 2007

On 9/9/07, Michael Jones <mythlist at michaelandholly.com> wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2007, at 3:39 AM, David Watkins wrote:
>
> >> II was actually using a monster Svideo cable that's currently working
> >> on the "old" frontend.   I tried this and an Svideo to Composite
> >> converter cable with the appropriate settings.. neither of which
> >> worked.
> >
> > So just to be clear,  you're using the same TV and S-Video cable as
> > before.  A different computer box and graphics card and a new software
> > build?
> >
> > And the symptoms are?
> > VGA output fine, S-Video output "black and white", Composite nothing
> > (is that using an S-Video to composite converter or does the card have
> > composite outputs).
> >
> > It's looking, to me, like either you've got a defective graphics card
> > or your xorg.conf is broken.  Did you look at the Xorg.0.conf file.
> > If there's a bit like this
> >
> > <snip>
> > (II) Setting vga for screen 0.
> > (**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
> > (==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
> > (==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
> > (==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
> > (**) NVIDIA(0): Option "NvAGP" "3"
> > (**) NVIDIA(0): Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
> > (**) NVIDIA(0): Option "TVStandard" "PAL-I"
> > (**) NVIDIA(0): Option "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
> > (**) NVIDIA(0): Option "XvMCUsesTextures" "true"
> > (**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
> > (**) NVIDIA(0): Forcing SVIDEO output
> > (**) NVIDIA(0): TV Standard string: "PAL-I"
> > (**) NVIDIA(0): ConnectedMonitor string: "TV"
> > </snip>
> >
> > That would confirm what the box is trying to send.
> >
> > I'd be inclined to remove any twinhead and VGA bits from xorg.conf to
> > try a get a simple TV-Out setup working (unless you know more than me
> > about tweaking xorg.conf files) Backup xorg.conf first of course.
> >
> > Maybe posting more of your xorg.conf would help?
> >

> I'm thinking more and more like I have a defective video card.
>
> I'll check my log and post my xorg.conf file when I put that machine
> back together.

I just went through this and found a solution for how I was using my
new nvidia 7300 card.  I still have an old analog tv so I am using
ntsc and composite

Here it the comment on another forum that did the trick (there is a 9
pin svideo connector with 3 composite pig tails that came with the
card, but it worked the same (blue pigtail)).

"Got rid of my old s-video-to-RCA adaptor and connected the provided
S-video-to-4cables (Svideo, Blue RCA, Red RCA, Green RCA) on the card.
Then connected my RCA cable to the Blue one, switched to "Composite"
on the TV pane in Nvidia Settings and... COLOR! And... life back to
normal."

And here is the whole thread.

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=54362&page=5

Maybe that would fix your problem too?