[mythtv-users] Why not MythArchive on Frontend only?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Sep 10 18:01:32 UTC 2007

On Sep 10, 2007, at 10:50 AM, Eric Robinson wrote:

> Why not MythArchive on Frontend only?

Because it hasn't been implemented yet.

> Okay, I've thought about how many people may run minimum-CPU, diskless
> Frontends and such but this feature would be really, really
> convenient!

Agreed!

> Certainly a bit of transcoding has to occur.  Why not have the backend
> do the transcoding/ISO preparation and then ship it off to the
> Frontend
> for burning?  That would enable such scenarios:

I believe the implementation would simply be that the frontend would
do all the work and just be told where to find the files unless
someone has other thoughts on how to delegate MythArchive jobs to
available backend machines. Sounds like a lot of reworking of
MythArchive to include its processes in the standard Job Queue.

<snips out illegal file sharing conversation>

> [I assume that managing a Frontend only system is a lot easier than a
> Frontend/Backend combination.]

Not really. Combo machines are much easier to set up and maintain
than separate machines. You don't have to worry about network access,
bandwidth, mysql access, setting up the right IP addresses (which
might change with DHCP networks), etc, etc.

-Brad