[mythtv-users] Hauppauge Win-PVR-USB2 - Failed to open

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Mon Sep 10 17:51:52 UTC 2007

On Monday 10 September 2007 02:28:06 Siddhartha Jain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running Mythtv the latest version of Mythtv obtained via svn (0.20.2)
> on: CentOS 4.5 with kernel 2.6.22 and the latest pvrusb2 driver snapshot
> (not in-kernel).
>
> The pvrusb2 driver seems to work fine because I can capture the output
> of /dev/video0 and replay it using mplayer. (cat /dev/video0 >
> film.mpg )
>
> The dmesg output also looks good:
> But when I run mythtv-setup, the default card shows up as "Analog v4l
> capture device" with the probe info saying "Hauppauge WinTV pvr usb2
> [pvrusb2]". If I change it to "MPEG-2 encoder card (PVR x-50,PVR-500)"
> the probed info says "Failed to open".
>
> Any pointers or suggestions for troubleshooting this?

I can't provide a sure-fire solution; however, I've got a few suggestions and
ideas:

1) If you haven't already, read the MythTV wiki entry on the device, which is
   at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-PVR-USB2. It
   doesn't contain any obvious fixes, given your description, but maybe
   something will "click" with something else you've noticed but not mentioned
   in your post (or that I've overlooked in your post).

2) The mythtv-setup program, as noted in the wiki entry, doesn't correctly
   identify the PVR-USB2 as an MPEG encoding device; you've got to explicitly
   enter the device filename. It's not 100% clear that you did this.

3) Was your "cat /dev/video0 > film.mpg" test done as the same user who runs
   the MythTV backend? If not, it could be you've got permissions problems on
   your /dev/video0 device. In fact, I'd recommend checking that detail in
   any event. Be sure that /dev/video0 is readable and writeable by whoever
   runs the backend. If this seems to be a problem, you might read the wiki
   entry on udev
   (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Device_Filenames_and_udev), although
   it's a bit sparse on setting permissions information (setting the group
   is shown in an example, but not described in detail). The wiki entry will
   at least get you on the right track in terms of finding files to modify,
   though.

4) The author of the PVR-USB2's Linux driver maintains a mailing list; see
   http://www.isely.net/pipermail/pvrusb2/ for archives and a link that'll
   let you subscribe. If you can't figure it out here, you could try there.

Best of luck getting your PVR-USB2 working with MythTV!

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com