[mythtv-users] Written proof that we've all been conned about SD

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Sep 9 15:13:30 UTC 2007

On 09/09/2007 12:37 AM, kijuhty kijuhty wrote:
>>> Greg: The SD crew is not  making any money on this. If any one of the
>>> other Listings companies that were approached had said yes SD would never
>>> have been formed.
> Greg, do you want some of my swampland in Florida?

My gosh.  You've definitely convinced me.  Isaac Richards, Daniel
Kristjansson, Chris Petersen--the three Myth devs who are SD board
members--are going to make a fortune off of the $5/mo from a few
thousand US and Canadian subscribers after paying Tribune the
thousands/mo it wants.

And the part that really gets me is that they're completely leaving
Bruce Markey, David Engel, Chris Pinkham, Anduin Withers, David Blain,
Greg Estabrooks, Robert Kulagowski and any other US/Canadian MythTV devs
out in the cold (that list probably isn't correct--I'm just guessing at
where the devs live--but it's pretty close).  It really would have been
better for them to share all this cash with all the US/Canadian devs.

>   If that were true, then
> why didn't they go for a sponsored alternative that would have kept SD free
> and not required any effort on their part?

Because it didn't solve the original problem--that some companies were
selling commercial PVR's that relied on the free data stream from Z2L.

Those companies are now trying to figure out how to support the
customers who paid for the PVR solutions--and are probably doing what
they should have in the first place:  licensing the data from TMS.

>   Why weren't any of us told
> months ago that sponsors were willing to pay to keep DD free?  Duh.

I'm sure the fact that the MythTV devs were not privy to the private
negotiations between Fiire and TMS might have had a smidgen to do with it.

Mike