[mythtv-users] Free US/Canada Listings

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun Sep 9 04:48:08 UTC 2007

| From: R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org>

| And the list owners now recognize that scraping in defiance of user
| agreements  or web-site owners is illegal.

I certainly don't believe that to be the case.

"Intellectual Property" law is evolving at a tremendous rate.  Without
user push-back, it evolves one way.  We users need to be less timid.
Don't believe claims made in EULAs -- they are just that, claims.

US law may not apply to all of us interested in US/Canada listings.
Both you and I, for example, are in Canada.

(I too have an SD subscription, so I'm not arguing from greed.)

Heck, if the IP owners had their way (and they may well), MythTV will
be illegal.  The US "Betamax" decision would most likely go the other
way if it were tried by the current US Supreme court.  In any case,
state-backstopped DRM is rendering Betamax moot.