[mythtv-users] Myth svn 14461 Seg faulting on scanning HDHomeRun

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Sep 9 02:00:00 UTC 2007

William Munson wrote:
> mlists wrote:
>> I received my new HDHomeRun.  I had been running Myth 14050 for a while
>> with no issues.  When I added the HDHomeRun and tried to scan for
>> channels, it crashes with a seg fault while scanning.
>>
>> I upgraded to the latest svn 14461 because I also wanted the schedules
>> direct patches, etc. but it still seg faults.
>>
>> I do apply some patches for my dvb card --
>> myth_casc_diseqc_sw_r14021.diff
>> myth_eit-bev-dn3_r14021.diff
>> myth_eit_4-7am_r14021.diff
>> myth_killerradio_r14021.diff
>> myth_nvidia_xvmc_r14021.diff
>> myth_radiots_r14021.diff
>> myth_sdt_r14021.diff
>> myth_siscan_r14021.diff
>> rotor.patch
>>
>> I can try without them but wanted to check to see if there are any known
>> problems with scanning the HDHomeRun before I do more then I need too?
>>

> I have no problems with the stock svn checkout and scanning itself. The
> only issue I have is that it does not correctly identify qam based cable
> channels and it used to miss some transports by using the wrong
> frequency. Does fine for atsc channels.

First, is your myth package compiled with HDHomerun support? Run
./configure with all of your '--enable-whatever' switches including
--enable-hdhomerun... Check the output.

Second, did you get it working with vlc and did all the setup with
hdhomerun-config work? Because once you get to there, it should work in
myth...Try deleting and re-installing in mythtv-setup????

Are you scanning with the correct setup? US-cable frequency table. Quick
tune 'Always' Unencrypted  only 'No' (These settings used to be
problematic, and are supposed to have been fixed..I haven't checked. My
HDHR is too busy recording!).

The problem with qam cable channels is in one sense insurmountable.
Cablecos get to number cable channels in a completely arbitrary way. The
local TV guide channel number bears NO relationship to either the cable
frequency channel OR the channel's own broadcast number AND cablecos are
not required to broadcast identifying information (except for 'must
carry' OTA feed channels in the US).

So Discovery can show up on a cable frequency of channel 72, while your
cableco calls it 132 and your tuning setup calls it 72.23...

So the only way to do it is to run a scan, then watch the channel until
you can determine exactly what it really is and fill that into the
Channel Editor ('E' in LiveTV). If the channel is in your SD lineup,
doing that will allow myth and mythfilldatabase to match things up.

Geoff