[mythtv-users] did i understand this right

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Sep 9 01:22:15 UTC 2007

On 09/08/2007 03:45 PM, Brett Kosinski wrote:
>> MythMusic is great for MP3s.  But I don't off the top of my head know
>> of anything which will do ip-radio.  You may want to search the
>> archives of this list, or the wiki that's on www.mythtv.org to check.
>>
> Well, on the web radio front, I use the mythstream plugin:
>
> http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~moongies/streamtuned.html
>
> Not the prettiest UI, granted, but it works well for me, and handles web
> radio, podcasts, etc (I use it to listen to SomaFM).

I used to use MythStream, but it has the serious disadvantage that it's
a visual plugin and I don't want to cycle the bulb on my TV just to
"turn on the radio."  I used it "in the blind" for a while, but
occasionally would "get lost," so, eventually, I gave up and wrote a
(hack of a script) that basically plays my "favorite" 'net radio station
using mplayer.  I use irexec to call the script for a remote button press.

My script has a serious security hole in it right now, but since it's
just being run on my system and one other, I haven't felt the hole was
worth fixing.  It does do other stuff, too, as I've added to it over
time, but if you always listen to the same station, a simple
script/command is all you need.  And if you were to use LIRC modes, you
could have one button to go to netradio mode and to return to "normal"
mode and use all the other remote buttons for different radio stations
or whatever.

Mike "radio without turning on the TV" Dean