[mythtv-users] PVR-350 TV-out on kernel 2.6.22?

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Sat Sep 8 03:49:31 UTC 2007

On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 11:20:27PM -0400, Marc Barrett alleged:
> I am still trying to get the TV-out to work on a Fedora 7 system
> using a 2.6.22 kernel.  My problem is that all of the most
> popular guides on this subject have become out-of-date.
> Including Jared Wilson's excellent guide.
>
> There have been a lot of changes to the kernel since most of
> these guides were written or updated, such as much of ivtv
> now being included in the kernel, etc.  I was wondering if there
> is a recent guide written specifically for the 2.6.22 kernel,
> about TV-out from a PVR-350.

I just did this last weekend.  Here are my ivtv packages from atrpms:
[root at myth ~]# rpm -qa | grep ivtv
ivtv-kmdl-2.6.22.4-65.fc7-1.0.2-134.fc7
ivtv-firmware-20070217-13.at
perl-Video-ivtv-0.13-8.fc7
ivtv-1.0.2-134.fc7

Atrpms doesn't have the ivtv xdriver so I compiled the ivtv xdriver myself
grabbing the trunk tarball from
http://ivtvdriver.org/viewcvs/xdriver/trunk.tar.gz?view=tar

Then /etc/rc.modules contains:
#!/bin/bash
modprobe ivtv
modprobe ivtv-fb

And /etc/modprobe.conf contains:
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
install ivtv /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install ivtv; /sbin/modprobe ivtv-fb

*uncheck* "use PVR350" output in mythfrontend's display configs.  Using the
mpeg decoder on the PVR350 is broken with 2.6.22 right now.  However, X11 with
Xv over the ivtv framebuffer is fine.

And here are the relavent sections of xorg.conf:
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Sony TV"
    HorizSync 30-60
    VertRefresh 50-100

    Mode "720x480"
        DotClock 34.564
        HTimings 720 752 840 928
        VTimings 480 484 488 504
        Flags "-HSync" "-VSync"
    EndMode

    # calc from resolution (int(x*0.254)  int(y*0.254))
    DisplaySize 182 121
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "ivtv"