[mythtv-users] Myth Developers ban all use of MythTV as a PVR due to IP infringement?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Sep 7 20:14:58 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 09/07/2007 09:27 AM, Phill Wiggin wrote:
>> *sigh* If one takes off one's tin-foil hat, it's clear that the DD
>> service was canceled.  The SD folks scampered to get an agreement w/
>> Tribune so that we can all still enjoy listing data.
>>
>> It's in the project's best interest to promote SD as the primary
>> listing source, not because it's making 'mad ca$h' for the SD guys,
>> but because it provides the best experience for the majority of Myth
>> users. (Scrapers are less reliable.. yadda...yadda..yadda..)
>>
>> Personally, I believe SD when they say that they're not making money
>> on the venture.  So, it's not about them being "selfish" or their
>> ability to 'receive royalties'.
>>

> And, if you don't want to use SD, don't.
>
> Please allow me--the great non-SD listings discussion quasher--to also
> mention another listings source from CTpvr,
> http://ctpvr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1682#1682 .

See? You mentioned another listings source and nobody arrested you, and
no fire or brimstone came down on you (AFAIK).

> True, it seems that CT TV listings requires Windows, but most of us have
> access to a Windows box (still have it installed on that Dell or Gateway
> or HP box you bought), so that probably won't cost anything extra.

If you have to run a Windows box solely for the listings (which is what
I would have to do) the cost in hardware tied up as well as power costs
would push the total cost higher than you suggest.

I suppose you could run Windows under VMWare or another emulator, but
there would still be the license cost for Windows, and tying up that
much RAM and system resources just for listings seems wasteful to me.

But, that just my opinion, you or anyone else is certainly welcome to
try anything you wish. That's what Linux and Open Source in general is
all about - choices.

beww