[mythtv-users] Free US/Canada Listings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Sep 7 19:04:54 UTC 2007

On 09/07/2007 09:16 AM, Phill Wiggin wrote:
> I understand, but as I mentioned earlier, MythTV is not SD.  Were this
> the SD list, I'd also see these discussions as a major concern.  I
> completely see what you mean, but discussing screen-scrapers in
> general (and from alternative sources as well) shouldn't be taboo on
> this list (frankly, I don't think discussion of scraping Zap2it should
> be taboo).

And it's not.  I just happen to have said that I would prefer that
discussion of scrapers that are known to be explicitly forbidden by the
TOS of the site in question (i.e. the tvlistings.zap2it.com scraper was
the one I specifically mentioned) be held elsewhere.

But, my one statement was taken way out of context (probably because of
a certain poster with a broken mail client that doesn't do proper
attribution and who may have--IMHO, did--cut way too much context
various posts--especially in other threads--to further his own
arguments).  However, for the record, you can see my entire post and see
the actual context of the requst at
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/287909#287909 (that
is the benefit of an archived list).

However, it seems I'm the only one who cares, so just ignore me,
everyone.  After all, I'm not the one who makes the list rules.

>   The OP (as far as my mail-client shows) lists several
> possibilities.
>
> Regardless, I agree that Tribune could get their pants in a bunch if
> they start getting screen-scraped.  But, that shouldn't stop the
> discussion of alternatives to SD.

Agreed.

> (As noted before, I'll be in the SD crowd and not using scrapers anyway.)

Me too.  Those who are willing to waste time
writing/maintaining/updating them are free to do so.  (I just hope their
doing so doesn't endanger my ability to continue to use MythTV with
good-quality listings data.  Again, though, that sentiment is mine and
mine alone, so don't feel you have to dispute it.  Perhaps I'm just an
ignorant fool who has too much fear of the law because of lack of
education and understanding, and--believe or not--if that's the case, a
bunch of posts on this list won't educate me or help me conquer that fear.)

Mike