[mythtv-users] Myth Developers ban all use of MythTV as a PVR due to IP infringement?

Nedim Cholich mythtv at cholich.com
Fri Sep 7 18:50:41 UTC 2007

On 9/7/07, Brett Kosinski <fancypantalons at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/7/07, James Gutshall Jr <warchildx at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 9/7/07, William Munson <william_munson at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > As always you are free to do what you want however this thread is now
> > > flagged for auto deletion as feeding the trolls does no good. If the
> > > troll wants to scrape web sites let him, I prefer to receive high
> > > quality listings at a very reasonable charge. After all, if you cannot
> > >
> > > afford $5/month you should not be building PVR systems, you probably
> > > should not even own a computer, you should be out there working your
> > > butt off making a living.
> > >

> > I strongly disagree with this comment.  I for one do work my butt off.
> > I have a family, bills, and a kid.
> > The "cannot afford $5 per month" may not specifically be not having the
> > $5.  it is the fact of justifying spending the $5 for listing data versus
> > spending it on your family.
>

> Dude.  It's *5 dollars*.  You could save that by forgoing your morning
> coffee for a few days.  And that's over double what the expected target fee
> structure will be.
>
> Honestly, if you can't scrounge up a few bucks a month for quality
> listings data, you really should be rethinking your finances a bit.  That,
> or reconsidering why you built a Myth box in the first place.

I agree and I made similar comment in another thread (for which I apologize
if I offended somebody). But there is another point to be made here. We
might have two camps:

1) People with "production" systems where MythTV is _the_ media center of
the household. It has to be up and it has to be "correct". For a lot of us
it also meant saving $100s a year in various cable/satellite/bullshit
charges, which also meant that certain discretionary expenses are allowed.
2) People who play with MythTV as their personal toy and haven't sold the
rest of the household on it. Obviously they have to justify expenses and in
this case it really doesn't even make sense to buy SD subscription. To them
I'd say scrape on!