[mythtv-users] Free US/Canada Listings

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Sep 7 15:44:44 UTC 2007

On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 09:16:34AM -0400, Phill Wiggin wrote:
> On 9/6/07, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 02:58:22PM -0400, Phill Wiggin wrote:
> > > I'm not berating the people having this discussion.  As a matter of
> > > fact, I think this is the appropriate forum for the discussion.  Were
> > > this the SD list, I'd 100% agree with Mike Dean and suggest it be
> > > continued off-list.  But, since the Myth supported scraping (as a
> > > primary input, no less) and the list previously discussed scraping, I
> > > see no reason that it shouldn't continue to be discussed here.
> >
> > As I note in another thread, Phill, there *is* a reason.  If we get
> > Tribune pissed off at SD, we're screwed... again.
>
> I understand, but as I mentioned earlier, MythTV is not SD.  Were this
> the SD list, I'd also see these discussions as a major concern.  I
> completely see what you mean, but discussing screen-scrapers in
> general (and from alternative sources as well) shouldn't be taboo on
> this list (frankly, I don't think discussion of scraping Zap2it should
> be taboo).  The OP (as far as my mail-client shows) lists several
> possibilities.

I don't think it should be either... but there are practicalities.

As Mike Dean noted: if y'all people wanna start your own list, and talk
about it there, more power to you and I'll even come help.

Just let's not cheat on our wife within sight of the kitchen, as Jeff
Foxworthy once put it.

> Regardless, I agree that Tribune could get their pants in a bunch if
> they start getting screen-scraped.  But, that shouldn't stop the
> discussion of alternatives to SD.
>
> (As noted before, I'll be in the SD crowd and not using scrapers anyway.)

Mee too.  To both.

Cheers,
-- jra