[mythtv-users] IR Blaster and Dish Network: How close does it have to be?

Calvin Harrigan charrig_mythtv at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 7 15:46:41 UTC 2007

Greg Foster wrote:

>> I used to have a simple IR transmitter.  Diode and resistor.  Then I built a
>> USB powered amplified one.  Then I taped it to the receiver.  At that point
>> it was fairly reliable.  Answer is it depends on your ambient conditions.  I
>> have fairly bad ambient light.  My reciever occasionally gets sunlight on it.
>> YMMV.
>>

> With my 3100 receiver (301 in the US), I found that remote address '6'
> yielded the best results... 2 years without a missed channel.
>
> Greg.

What version of lirc are you using?  What kernel version?  What config
file?  I have a 311 that works for most part.  But ever so often it
misses a digit in a channel, usually the first digit in a three digit
number. Seems more times than not, it misses the number 1 in the first
position.  The blaster I used is the second one on
http://www.lirc.org/transmitters.html.  I tried tuning it, but still the
same, I get about 2-5 misses a month or so.  I've though about using a
hardware carrier transmitter, but haven't had the time, they are said to
be more reliable.  The software carriers are affected by cpu load,
interrupts and other things.  I have a dual core cpu now, it used to
seem as if it was more reliable on the single core.

Calvin...