[mythtv-users] Nvidia 6200 S-Video gives a Black and White picture.

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Fri Sep 7 01:46:47 UTC 2007

Michael Jones wrote:

>>> I didn't try that.. but I'm here in the US so not likely.. besides..
>>> it works with the "old" system just beautifully.
>> I just installed a new Sapphire Radeon 9600SE card for my sister.
>> NTSC/PAL is a physical jumper on that card.  It came in incorrectly
>> set
>> for PAL.
>>
>> This is (IMO) the most likely problem you could be having; investigate
>> further.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -- jra
>> --
>> Jay R. Ashworth                   Baylink
>> jra at baylink.com
>> Designer                     The Things I
>> Think                       RFC 2100
>> Ashworth & Associates     http://
>> baylink.pitas.com                     '87 e24
>> St Petersburg FL USA      http://photo.imageinc.us             +1
>> 727 647 1274
>>

> Jay,
>
> Nice guess.. but no joy.  I pulled the card today and this card
> doesn't have any jumpers.
>
> - Micahel

I had this same symptom once going from S-video out on the video card
through a composite to S-video converter, and then through composite
(RCA) cable to a TV.  It turns out the composite to S-video converter
wasn't meant to work the other way, and near as I could tell, was
dropping the chrominance (color) output from the S-video signal, and
only passing through the brightness signal, resulting in a black and
white picture.  I ended up using a different video card with a real
composite TV-out jack to that particular TV, which restored my color
picture.

Kind of a long shot in your case I know, but I thought you might be
using a different cable in your old system where it works compared to
your new system.