[mythtv-users] FCC requiring cable operators to encrypt all signals?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Sep 6 23:20:45 UTC 2007

David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Sep 6, 2007, at 3:58 PM, Tom Greer wrote:
>> According to my contact, this is all being done in accordance with
>> a new FCC mandate.  The firewire signal can only be decrypted by
>> devices that will ensure that content owners copyright restrictions
>> (for example,  whether a stream can be copied, how long it can be
>> stored, the number of times it can be viewed, etc.)
>
> This sounds a whole lot like the "broadcast flag" mandate.  But last
> I heard the courts ruled the FCC had no authority to impose it, and
> Congressional attempts to pass bills that said otherwise had not
> succeeded.
>
> IANAL, of course.  The EFF has been active in fighting the broadcast
> flag mandate and might know more.

My understanding is that the FCC can regulate OTA signals, but not
"closed circuit" video such as cable.

The cable operators, no doubt under pressure from the "HWTs", are trying
to claim the FCC is responsible for their actions, including eliminating
analog NTSC signals, but it is not true. The FCC has no authority to
regulate such matters as far as SD content.

They might have a case with HD stuff. There is a proposed rulemaking
that might apply.

If you want to wade through a lot of government-ese, you can look at:

http://www.beww.org/links/FCC-03-225A1.pdf

I'm really not sure how relevant that document might be.

beww