[mythtv-users] Electrical power in my cable line? Is that bad?

Dave Phillips family_of_phillips at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 6 21:33:51 UTC 2007

That is exactly what happened to me.
  The previous owners had installed 3 prong outlets but didn't bother to hook up the ground.
  I was getting a nasty jolt every time I unsrewed the cable.
  I put a multimeter on it and found 45 volts coming across.
  Needless to say I replaced the outlet. :-)

Dan Wilga <mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:
  In addition to what the other posters said, you should also not rule
out the possibility that the fault is in your house's *electrical*
wiring. If the computer is plugged-into an outlet (or powerstrip)
that is not properly grounded, there could very easily be a
difference in potential between it and a cable TV wire--even a
properly-grounded cable TV wire.

Just having a 3-prong outlet at the wall does not always mean that
third prong is connected to anything. If in doubt, you can pick up a
tester cheaply at any Radio Shack or home improvement store.
--
Dan Wilga "Ook."