[mythtv-users] Import and Export of Program Listing Data

Robert Current robert.current at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 21:22:18 UTC 2007

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net writes:

> I'm not sure I see a clear reason for these concepts.

YMMV?  Never said it's the best solution.  Never said it would be a
better solution.  Never said it would work for you.  Never said you
had to contribute.

Never even promised you that you could understand it…

> I fail to see any
> benefit in sharing data between users since the
> likelyhood of any two users sharing the same dataset is small.

Presumably, more than two people would use it.

And two users having the exact same lineup is totally un-nessessary.

This was addressed with xmltvid numbers.  A cable TV user might pull
local lineups from someone else in town that provided OTA-EIT data,
and pull national lineups from some guy that had an xmltv file with
complete data for a satellite listing.

Yes, that's not a pretty automated system to pull from a single
central server.  But that doesn't make it useless.

> The complexities surrounding the
> distribution methods seem to outweigh
> any perceived benefit.  A majority of
> users will be well served simply getting
> their data directly from the
> original source, not trying to gather
> it from peers.

For you, that might be true.  So, there's no reason for you to consider this.

But not everyone on the planet has a single, complete, original source
that is providing them data freely.