[mythtv-users] *Why* we'd prefer discussions about questionably legal activities to go somewhere else.

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Sep 6 21:01:24 UTC 2007

On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 12:52:04PM -0700, Andreas wrote:
> You know, Mike, I appreciate *a lot* all the help you offer here on the
> mailing list, and of course you are entitled to your own opinion about tv
> listings, screen scraping, illegal activities and what not, but can't you -
> just once - simply shut up if you can't or won't give a straight answer to
> the original poster's straight question?

Probably not.

I'm sure Tribune Media Services -- remember them?  They have a new
president, and 11% less revenue this year? -- is paying a fair amount
of attention to things which go on around a community which has just
set up a new way to pay them for something they were previously getting
for free.

So I don't think it's at all unreasonable for the members of that
community who wish for that data stream to *remain* available to do a
little self-policing on the archived user mailing list pertaining to
that project *and run by someone who is both a MythTV developer and a
member of the board of said commercial provider (SD)*.

And clearly, Mike doesn't think it's unreasonable either.

What puzzles us is why you folks don't get it.

You *can*, in point of fact, fuck things up for the rest of us who are
perfectly happy to pay, and we'd prefer you didn't.

So take it off list, just like the Torrentocracy discussions.  Ok?

That's not censorship.

That's asking you to be polite, and not act like you don't give a
crap about the rest of us.

I speak for me, and maybe Mike, and whomever else happens to agree with
me.  But I'd speculate that's a non-trivial list of people.

Cheers,
-- jra