[mythtv-users] XFS: options when running mkfs.xfs

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Thu Sep 6 18:44:09 UTC 2007

On Thu September 6 2007 10:23:23 am Michael T. Dean wrote:

> Let me put it this way, when Myth starts writing a file at 8:00pm that
> will grow to an 8.5GB file by 9:00pm, the file system doesn't set aside
> 8.5GB of contiguous space on the disk.  If Myth starts writing a second

With XFS, it might, depending on how often the cache is flushed.

> recording file at 8:00pm or 8:30pm or whatever, it is likely to be
> interleaved with the other file that's being written concurrently.

I don't really see that as a problem.  The disk heads must continuously seek
to the next track anyway.  So what if they have to skip 2 or 3?  It's not
going to be an issue.  The real problem is if it has to seek back and forth
all over the disk.