[mythtv-users] MySql optimization ...

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Sep 6 15:30:22 UTC 2007

On 09/06/2007 11:07 AM, Irumbo Mateene wrote:
> what are the recommended settings for tuning MySql ?   my Myth system used to take several seconds just to show my recorded programs ( on frontend) .. I decided to tweak my mysql.cnf file and now the performance is very fast, data is displayed almost instantaneously in most cases ..  I have an AMD 4200 system ..

Sounds like you may be using a listings source, such as EIT, that
doesn't require the use of mythfilldatabase.  If so, ensure your video
sources are set up with the appropriate grabber (i.e. "EIT only" or "No
grabber"), and run "mythfilldatabase --no-delete" to clean up the
database.  Doing so should get rid of a large amount of
performance-draining "expired" data.  Then, when no recordings are in
progress, run "optimize_mythdb.pl" (from the contrib directory) and you
should have a fast-as-new DB.

With 0.20-fixes and below, running mythfilldatase "occasionally" is
required.  You may want to run it once a month or so in a cron job.  In
0.21 (and currently in SVN trunk), this will no longer be required (as
cleanup will be handled by the backend).

> recently I experienced some corruption with my mysql db tables and had to repair it.   Is there a possibility that tweaking mysql.cnf file could cause these kind of issues .. such as caching queries etc ...

Most likely not.

Mike