[mythtv-users] Electrical power in my cable line? Is that bad?

Jake Vickers jake at v2gnu.com
Thu Sep 6 10:50:56 UTC 2007

Yann Lehmann wrote:
> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>

>> Whomever installed your cable never bothered to ground it properly. Your
>> choices are to have them come back and do it correctly or ground it
>> yourself if you know what you're doing. Sadly, it happens more often
>> than you would think. Someone mentioned not long ago that they fried
>> their motherboard by plugging the firewire cable from their ungrounded
>> set-top box into their machine. I nearly blew up my PVR-350 when I first
>> got it because of the same problem. The tip is still a little black, but
>> surprisingly records just fine. :)
>>

> Is there an easy way to check if the cable is grounded properly ?

Yep.  If it is the new standard you should have a "ground block" that
looks like a barrel (cable splice) bolted to the wall outside with a
green wire running from it to the ground wire running out of the power
meter box (you may also just have a splitter that will have the green
wire running from it, depending on the cable co's policies).  The cable
will come from the pole (or up from the ground if in a underground area)
to this block and then into your house or to a splitter,  If you're not
on the new standard then your cable may come from the opposite side of
the house as power and be grounded to a ground rod (same ground block or
splitter with a wire running to a rod pounded into the ground, usually 4
feet or so) or to a water pipe.
The sporadic jolts you're feeling would lead me to believe that you had
a cable modem.  You're probably feeling it sending data to the node.
Hope that helps some.