[mythtv-users] Import and Export of Program Listing Data

Johan Venter mythtv at vulturest.com
Thu Sep 6 06:32:47 UTC 2007

Robert Current wrote:
> But more importantly, it works, and hasn't been hit with legal action?
>  I thought I read about some data source in Australia recently beating
> some legal action, but I didn't pay much attention then, did that have
> to do with this project?

It didn't.

> Now, all those scripts your talking about, did that have to do with
> this Sheppard project?  Or is that something else?

Sheppard is a very clever Perl script which aggregates a lot of
different methods for fetching data the free community stuff and the
scrapable websites out there. It is very good about using the web sites
responsibily by enforcing delays and it is clever enough to fill in a 1
hour hole, say, with 30 mins from this source, 10 mins from here, the
other 20 from there etc.

> And, my final question is, how do you use this data in Myth?  Is there
> a GUI front end somewhere?  Is it a "Direct Data" option that someone
> hacked into the MythTV-Setup screens?  Do you import it from xmltv?
> If so, using an automated script to pull it and import it weekly?

Sheppard / some other grabber exports XML which mythfilldatabase imports
, just like every other XMLTV script that exists.

> Well, it seems, IMHO, people won't do that here because they are a bit
> to chicken to get involved, fearing they will have their door kicked
> in and equipment confiscated or some such paranoia.

Sigh. And you were doing so well...

Johan.