[mythtv-users] Electrical power in my cable line? Is that bad?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Sep 6 04:44:32 UTC 2007

On Sep 5, 2007, at 9:38 PM, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:

> Hello, there seems to be some electricity in my cable line. When i
> was plugging it into my pvr-500, i sort of felt a little jolt after
> holding it for a few seconds.
>
> I noticed this a few weeks later when i was reworking my lines to
> get a better signal. Does anyone know why this might be? And how
> can I fix this. It's kind of scarry to know that if i need to
> unplug that line from my mythtv box, i'll get little that jolt
> again. Is this something i should call Time Warner about?
>
> It's not like a 120 volt line, but if held for a few seconds, you
> can start to feel it. Also, can this damage the computer or the tv
> tuner card for that matter?
>
> --Thanks
> -Steve

Whomever installed your cable never bothered to ground it properly.
Your choices are to have them come back and do it correctly or ground
it yourself if you know what you're doing. Sadly, it happens more
often than you would think. Someone mentioned not long ago that they
fried their motherboard by plugging the firewire cable from their
ungrounded set-top box into their machine. I nearly blew up my
PVR-350 when I first got it because of the same problem. The tip is
still a little black, but surprisingly records just fine. :)