[mythtv-users] tv guide line-up free

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Sep 6 01:17:44 UTC 2007

On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 04:15:14PM -0700, Robert Current wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 06:22:20PM -0700, Robert Current wrote:
> > > The PVR market IS their business model and target market, unlike
> > > Zap2It.  As far as I can tell, some of those partnerships seem to be
> > > with shareware and freeware PVR software, provided your using a
> > > partner hardware product also.
> >
> > Their target market -- I was on their first beta team; this is first
> > hand -- is TV station websites.  They get the data from the stations,
> > populate the database, and then provide the entire schedule page back
> > to the station.
> >
> > PVR's are a secondary market, and to the extent they are one at all,
> > the money comes, almost certainly, from selling "what did people
> > schedule to record" data back to other people.
>
> Your entire discussion hinges on if the data can be used legally, to
> which you conclude no one is 100% sure.  I'm not saying your wrong.
> Just that it seemed tangent and redirecting from the original
> question.  That wasn't really ever asked, but seems to be the focus of
> everyone's reply.

Nope.  *You* seem to be the only person who doesn't really care.

> There is data there.  That was the question that was asked.  Can it be
> used?  Sure, if someone works on an application to apply it.  That was
> asked too.

We know all that, yes.

> Scrapers are not the ONLY source, there is what would be called
> "Direct Data."  So, data is there, and to pretend it's not is to hide
> your head in the sand.  To misdirect and say it won't allow you to do
> things like schedule recurring recordings is complete lies.  To
> increase the signal to noise ratio of the thread with legality when
> it's totally unclear and no one even asked in the first place is
> disruptive and unproductive.
>
> Legality wasn't asked.  I'll still say no one has proven all data is
> illegal, at best they say it's not clear.  But no one even asked that
> question.  And, I'm sure everyone has heard more than enough times now
> that the legality is unclear to some of you.  That isn't the topic?  I
> thought this was MythTV Users list, not the "list of unclear legal
> theory."

You continue to raise it, by suggesting sources for data that the rest
of us are pretty clear aren't actually usable, for copyright or TOS
reasons.

> Data?  Yes, multiple sources other than Schedules Direct.
> Implementations?  None for Direct Data other than Schedules Direct,
> yet.  To change that takes people able to point to and discuss the
> merits of each data source, and then willing to write code for use of
> that source.
>
> To USE the new sources, at THAT point users might want to consider
> legality of using the data... but we aren't even anywhere near that
> point or that discussion yet.

No sense wasting time coding, if using the data will piss off the
sources.

Cheers,
-- jra